Staying healthy is essential and important before and after treatment. It is vital to keep replenishing your body with the proper nutrients such as Folic Acid which can be attained in a variety of delicious meals. Folic acid supports the body in making new and healthy cells and is a type of Vitamin B that helps form red blood cells. It can be found in many fruits and vegetables such as broccoli as well as nuts, cereals and other grain products. Broccoli is high in folic acid and contains a great source of vitamins C and K. It is also a heavy source of iron, magnesium, and calcium. Check out the Broccoli, Garlic, and Lemon Penne recipe by Jeanne Besser and Colleen Doyle from The Great American Eat- Right Cookbook.
Prep time: 15 minutes or less
Total time: 30 minutes or less
* ½ pound of whole grain penne pasta
* 5 cups of broccoli florets or 1 (12 ounce) bag of broccoli florets
* ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
* Grated zest of 1 lemon
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* ¼ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions: Prepare penne according to package directions for al dente (just firm). Two to three minutes before penne is ready, add broccoli. Finish cooking, drain, and set aside.
1. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Sauté the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, or until aromatic and beginning to color.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by half, stirring frequently. Add pasta, broccoli, and lemon zest and cook until coated with sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories from Fat 155
Total Fat 17.0 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.7 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 135 mg
Total Carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 13 g