Director of Development
Founded in 1983 by the parents of an Aplastic Anemia patient, the Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation (AAMDSIF) has grown to become the world's leading nonprofit health organization dedicated to supporting patients and families living with aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), and related bone marrow failure diseases. AAMDSIF’s mission is to provide answers, support, and hope to thousands of patients and their families around the world.
AAMDSIF seeks mission-driven, collaborative professionals to join our team of dedicated employees working to advance our mission and improve the quality of life of those who live with bone marrow failure diseases.
AAMDSIF is seeking a Director of Development to advance and strengthen AAMDSIF’s fundraising program and to be a key member of our development team.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Development. The Director of Development will be responsible for developing and managing AAMDSIF’s annual giving plan to acquire, retain and upgrade donors, including personal solicitations, direct response, fundraising events, cultivating relationships, and donor stewardship. The Director of Development will manage estate & planned giving marketing and research potential new corporate and foundation funders.
- In conjunction with the Senior Director of Development, develop and implement an annual giving plan consistent with the overall fundraising strategies of AAMDSIF that encourages giving from diverse revenue sources including individuals, businesses/corporations, foundations, and other key constituents.
- Identify and engage current and prospective donors encouraging them to support at the Foundation Partners level ($1,000+/year) through personal solicitations, volunteer solicitations and direct response. Identify and motivate a pool of fundraising volunteers.
- Manage AAMDSIF’s direct response program by developing direct mail and e-communications campaigns, managing appeal donor files, managing expenses to ensure net returns align with targets and coordinating with the Development Associate to engage outside vendors to deliver timely campaigns.
- Build collaborative and productive relationships with fundraising volunteers in planning and implementing events (walks/runs, local events) to increase event and sponsorship revenue, motivate and recognize volunteers and, in coordination with the Development Associate and Communications Manager, provide timely logistical, event material, and promotional support.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan for AAMDSIF’s Estate & Planned Giving (Legacy Society) Program.
- Identify and research potential new corporate/business and foundation funders with giving guidelines that are in alignment with AAMDSIF’s mission.
- Collaborate with staff in producing AAMDSIF’s annual report.
- Manage budget and ensure accurate reporting.
- Experienced fundraising professional with a minimum of 5 years progressive responsibility including in annual giving programs, personal solicitation, direct response, fundraising events, and motivating fundraising volunteers.
- Proven track record of success in growing and managing an annual giving program including donor cultivation and giving, direct mail programs and events.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent relationship building and networking skills with a diverse and broad audience of constituents and stakeholders.
- Computer proficiency in programs such as Microsoft Office and CRM systems.
- Ability to create timely and accurate reports.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent in work experience.
Location & Compensation
AAMDSIF is located in Bethesda, MD and the Director of Development will work in our Bethesda, MD office. The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $100,000 annually, depending on experience. AAMDSIF offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, health savings account, PTO, federal holidays, a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contributions, and transportation subsidy (parking or public transit).
Working conditions are normal for an office environment and the office is currently using a hybrid model (in-office and remote). Work may require some weekend and/or evening work and domestic travel.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements. This position is a full-time, exempt position. The Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation, a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization, is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). For more about AAMDSIF see: www.aamds.org.
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. We look forward to receiving your application, but no phone calls please.
Director of Development Job Description, AAMDSIF, pdf download