Types of Acquired Aplastic Anemia
Moderate Aplastic Anemia (MAA)
If you have moderate aplastic anemia:
- You may have low blood cells counts, but not as low as with severe aplastic anemia.
- You may have few or no symptoms.
- Your doctor may not recommend treatment. Instead, your doctor may just keep an eye on your blood counts.
- Your condition may stay the same for many years.
Severe Aplastic Anemia (SAA)
If you have severe aplastic anemia, at least two of the following are true:
Your neutrophil count is less than 500 cells per microliter.
Your platelet count is less than 20,000 per microliter.
Very Severe Aplastic Anemia (VSAA)
If you have very severe aplastic anemia:
- Your neutrophil count is less than 200 per microliter.
- Your blood counts are otherwise like those of someone with severe aplastic anemia.