ONS 2021 Virtual Congress Satellite Symposium
The Spectrum of MDS: Disease Management and Patient Education
This symposium will be presented through the ONS Virtual Platform on Thursday, April 29th and is targeted to clinical nursing professionals in oncology. Case studies will be used to illustrate treatment decision-making and therapeutic challenges.
Topics will include:
- The latest developments in diagnosing and treating myeloid malignancies;
- Current and emerging treatment options for low-risk MDS, high-risk MDS, and secondary AML;
- Clinical trial participation; disease management for chronic anemia, side effects and treatment adherence;
- Psychosocial considerations and palliative care to improve the quality of life for this patient population.
- Catherine Chittick, RN, BSN, BMT/Leukemia Staff, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston
- Jenna Moran, MSN, FNP-BC, Leukemia Team, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston
- Aura Ramos, RN, BSN, Leukemia Team, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston
This activity is intended for nurses and nurse practitioners engaged in the care of patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS).
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Explain the methods used to diagnose, stratify and treat MDS
- Identify current and emerging treatment options for patients with low-risk MDS, high-risk MDS, and secondary AML
- Analyze the nurse's role in managing treatment for MDS based on clinical presentations, diagnostic workups, transfusion dependence, comorbidities, and clinical trial consideration
- Discuss strategies to address treatment goals and decision-making, educate patients and provide palliative care to improve outcomes
Providership, Credit and Support
This accredited continuing education (CE) activity is jointly provided by the Medical Learning Institute, Inc. and The Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation.
This accredited CE activity is supported by an independent educational grant from Bristol Myers Squibb and Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development (NCPD)
Medical Learning Institute, Inc. is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Successful completion of this nursing continuing professional development activity will be awarded 1.5 contact hours and 1.12 contact hours in the area of pharmacology.
Nurse Practitioner Credit Designation (AANP)
This education activity will be submitted to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners for approval of up to 1.5 contact hours of accredited education.
In order to access this symposium, you must first be registered for the ONS 2021 Virtual Congress.
Great Debates and Updates Hematological Malignancies 2021
In this debate-style series, nationally recognized leaders take opposing sides on clinical, and sometimes controversial, topics currently disrupting the practice of hematology/oncology.
Through a comprehensive review of the latest clinical advancements in hematologic malignancies, robust audience engagement, and ample discussion, participants will leave equipped with practical implications and applications to put into practice immediately.
2021 Virtual Dates
- February 25-27, 2021
- April 8-10, 2021
- May 20-22, 2021
- July 15-17, 2021