AAMDSIF provides travel grants to help bone marrow failure patients see a specialist to seek the best course of treatment.
Some hematologists have never seen a bone marrow failure patient because these diseases are so rare. AAMDSIF feels that seeking a second opinion from a specialist who has treated a large number of cases of aplastic anemia, MDS, PNH or a related marrow failure disease is important. A specialist can be an excellent partner, working with you and your community hematologist to optimize treatment.
Through the fund, eligible patients can receive reimbursement for travel costs and related expenses of up to $3,000. To be eligible, a patient must be based in the United States and demonstrate financial need.
Travel funds can be used to help cover the following costs related to a specialist visit:
- Travel by plane, bus, train or car
- Local ground transportation
- Co-pay costs related to seeing the specialist (not for treatments).
- The costs of a parent or companion caregiver to accompany the patient
To learn more about receiving a patient travel assistance grant, please complete the Travel Assistance Initial Interest Form below. If you have questions, you can contact an Information Specialist directly by email at email@example.com or by phone (800) 747-2820 x140.
Once you submit the application, an Information Specialist or trained volunteer advocate will reach out to you to discuss your situation and clarify the process. This typically occurs within 3 to 5 business days.
If you are eligible, we will:
- Create an account for you and ask you to complete a full online application,
- Request documentation to verify your income. Acceptable proof of income includes:
- The first two pages of your most recent signed income tax return (please blacken out your social security number).
- If you do not file a tax return, you may submit a copy of your most recent pay stub, unemployment check, or SSI, SSD, or public assistance benefit notification.
- If you do not have any current income, you can provide a letter of explanation describing your current situation.
NOTE: In some cases, we may ask for further verification of your preliminary diagnosis.
IMPORTANT: You must apply for travel support prior to attending your appointment. Please allow two weeks for your application to be reviewed and approved. To inquire about receiving a patient travel assistance grant, please complete the form below. An AAMDSIF Information Specialist or a member of the AAMDSIF Grant Review Committee will be in touch within a few days to discuss your individual situation. If you have questions, you can send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 747-2820 x140.
TRAVEL ASSISTANCE INITIAL INTEREST FORM
Complete and submit this form if you are interested in applying for a travel assistance. We will follow up with you by phone or email within 3 business days.