November 16, 2013
8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Kevin Lyons-Tarr; Harsha Murthy; Tony Sanfilippo; Stephen King; Melanie Marquez; Judy Paulette; Neil Horikoshi; Bart Fisher; Bill Shulevitz; Stephanie Hamm; Deborah Cook; Michael Suh (via telephone); John Huber, Executive Director.
- The Board re-elected Stephen King as a Board member and re-elected Kevin Lyons-Tarr, Harsha Murthy, and Stephen King as Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary respectively.
- The Board expressed its appreciation for his service to retiring Board member, Michael Suh.
- The Board reviewed and approved the financial reports and investment reports, both of which were very positive including the year end forecast.
- Dr. Sekeres reported by telephone on the work of the MDS Clinical Research Consortium (CRC). He indicated that progress has been excellent and well ahead of schedule.
- John Huber reported on progress and results for the year highlighting program goals met in patient education and support, research and health professional education. New program development is underway for global awareness and we have been asked to lead the international MDS-Alliance. We received the initial Innovation Impact Award from Celgene for the CRC. We have also expanded services for PNH patients and families.
- John Huber presented the 2014 Plan and Budget which focuses on Research, Reach and Resources. The Board approved the 2014 Plan and Budget as presented.
- The Board selected recipients of the Leadership Awards in Science – Dr. Mikkael Sekkeres; in Service – Neil Horikoshi; in Philanthropy – The Edward P. Evans Foundation
- The Board discussed pursuing conversations with the MDS Foundation regarding potential merger of the two organizations for the benefit of patients and families. The Board authorized Kevin and John to engage in active discussions with the MDS Foundation.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:30PM